Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beginning the Journey

In the last post, I told you about some of my background and the rediscovery of cooking.  In this post I'd like to share with you, dear reader, a bit on how the journey began.


I am a meat-eater.  A carnivore.  I happen to enjoy being a carnivore.  I have no time or patience with anything that resembles vegetarianism or veganism.  Fruits, vegetables and the like have their time and their place, however, humans are designed from the ground up to be apex predators and darn it, we're good at it.


That being said, I had some friends over who were hungry.  I got a crazy idea that since I could make butter, I could cook.  I went to the grocery store, purchase a few sirloins and got to cooking.  I started the steaks out by covering them with Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce.  Things were looking up.  I had also added some herbs from a bottle marked "Italian Seasoning".  This stuff was smelling up the whole kitchen and boy-oh-boy did it smell great!!


Then I got a crazy idea.  The Worcestershire sauce was thin and runny, I wanted something a little thicker, so I grabbed a jar of honey and tossed some in there.  After some faffing around I came up with a mixture that I liked.  The steaks were done and ready to serve. I put them on plates, handed them to guests.  I turned around to grab the cookware off the stove, put it in the sink, turned around and the steaks were gone.


I was subsequently trotted off to the grocery store in order to procure more steaks, as I was told that the steaks were too good to not have more.  It took me several weeks to figure out the proportions to make the glaze absolutely perfect.


The idea that someone, who I know was not just blowing smoke up my butt, really, really liked the steak was pretty earth-shattering for me.  I had not had that kind of reaction before.  Never before had it been DEMANDED, in no uncertain terms, that I make more of something because every last bit had been devoured.  It was a great feeling.  It was like being high without drugs.  I LIKED that feeling and I wanted more.


Thus, the steaks, hamburgers, and omelets continues on a sporadic basis.  The idea of cooking on a more regular basis continued to marinade in the back of my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment