Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A New Pan for Me!

Over the course of the past few weeks, I have been keeping up with Miss Lacey  from asweetpeachef.com and her recipes.  Just recently, she received a Le Creuset oven.  I'll admit it, I was jealous.  She got a new pot and that got me thinking about my own cookware situation.  I scoured the house for any vestiges of my grandmothers cooking stuff, of which she had had a lot.  All I could find were cheap pots and pans that my mother had bought ages ago.  I was not a happy camper. So I took matters into my own hands.

Last weekend, I ventured out into the hot summer Saturday morning and headed to Williams-Sonoma, a store not far from my house.  It turns out that they were having a sale.

I scored me a Staub 12" cobalt blue grill pan, like one of the ones I had seen in a Gordon Ramsay video.  It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  I bought it, took it home, seasoned it and subsequently had my first oops.

I had made steaks, with the Wild River Herbed Honey Glaze sauce.  I had had absolutely no experience with cast iron and misunderstood what Staub had to say about the non-stick coating on the pan.  The glaze got underneath the rails and caramelized into a hard, thick, crusty black substance that refused to come off the darn pan.  I almost started to panic.  I decided, let me soak the pan for a while and see what happens.

After the pan had soaked for about an two hours, I came across a site on the Internots about caring for cast iron.  One of the major no-no's was letting a cast iron pan soak.  OMIGOSH.  I ran upstairs, emptied it and tried scrubbing again.  The stuff was not coming out at all.  I was getting pretty upset.  I left the pan in the sink overnight.

The next day we had a family party at my aunt's house.  Fortunately, one of my cousins was there who is a thorough foodie, not just a foodie but super-foodie who worked in restaurant and stuff.  If anyone would know, HE would know and he did.  He told me exactly what to with the pan.  I followed his directions, mixed up a cup of vinegar and a cup of water, put them in the pan and let it soak.  After about 15 minutes, using a dull knife I CAREFULLY pried at the mess until it had al popped off.  A quick scrub later and everything was fine.

I would like to report that I finally learned how to properly season a cast iron pan and won't be making that mistake again.


The new Staub 12" Enameled Cast Iron Grill Pan in Sapphire Blue


Cooking steaks on the new pan.  Yum Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment